The Buckland Estate
The manor of Buckland in Berkshire (since 1974 in Oxfordshire) belonged to several families during the medieval period, including the Chaucers and Earls of Suffolk. Much of the current estate was constructed by the Throckmortons, to whom the estate passed in 1690.
The 4th Baronet, Sir Robert Throckmorton (of Newbury coat fame) had Buckland House rebuilt by John Wood of Bath, but the original design by John Wood the Elder was substantially revised and built by John Wood the Younger between 1755 and 1759. The revised plan added distinctive octagonal pavilions to each side joined to the house by single storey galleries. The house as fully built is illustrated in the 1767 volume of Vitruvius Britannicus.
The Buckland landscape is of particular interest in that it is the earliest recorded design by Richard Woods, a Catholic contemporary of Capability Brown. It incorporates a long drive through the park with Temples and other features around the central lake. However, it remains in private hands.
Sir Robert Throckmorton also created Home Farm, the site of the Dovecote. A map of 1803 shows the Dovecote, the main Barn and Home Farm Cottage, while a map of 1875 shows the fully developed complex with rather more buildings than currently exist.